Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Easy Breezy Cocoon Dress Tutorial

Pink&Charlie Cocoon Dress Tutorial


This is my first sewing tutorial so be patient with me. Before we begin I must ask all perfectionists to leave the room. 


What you will need:

1.25 yards of a rayon or other drappy fabric (mine is from Joann)
Matching thread
Parchment paper


Step 1: Find a dolman sleeve or similar loose fitting top in your closet to use as a pattern guide. The top I used is more or less sleeveless so I added more of a sleeve by extending from the shoulder and armpit a few inches. Use parchment paper and trace the top folded in half. I only traced the neckline of the back but you could make two patterns and do the front and back neckline (this is where I'm lazy....I just decide the front neckline as I go along).

*You can use the pattern for a top or long dress as well just adjust the length.



Step 2: Fold the fabric toward the center and place your pattern with the "non-sleeve" side to the fold (see picture below). Pin the pattern in place and cut around the pattern (except the bottom of the top) leaving a 1/4 to 1/2 inch seam allowance. I then cut the bottom of the pattern extra long so that I can hem it to my desired length later. Repeat on the other fold.


Step 3: So now you have two long pieces that each, if opened, resemble 1/2 of a maxi dress. Lay the two pieces wrong side out and pin together along the top of the shoulder and from armpit to the bottom.



Step 4: Try on! Make sure it can be slipped on and that there is no terrible mistake you made. Also at this point you might refer to a dress you have in your closet to find the right length. Mine is about 2-3 inches below my fingertips. Cut the bottom to the desired length leaving a 1-1.5 inch hem allowance. 


Step 5: Sew across the shoulders first and then from the bottom of the sleeve, down the armpit, to the bottom of the dress. 

*This is about when I decide on a neckline for the front. I freehand cut a little at a time to get the desired effect. I chose a v-neck for this. Use one of your other shirts as a guide if you're scared.



Step 6: Hem the sleeves and the bottom of the dress. Always fold the fabric twice to prevent fraying and iron and pin before hemming. For that part I always take my time and try on to make sure the hem is even.....too many bad experiences. 



Step 7: Interfacing! Don't be scared....it's really easy. But it's hard to explain so I linked a tutorial here.  The basic idea is that you make a strip of fabric that goes around the neckline. Sew (right side of interfacing to right side of dress), fold it into dress and sew again on top. Simple right? You can always just fold it down and sew but the interfacing looks much better. 


Pink&Charlie Cocoon Dress Tutorial

 Voila! You have a casual cocoon dress that can be dressed up for evening or paired with flip-flops for a trip to Target!

Pink&Charlie Cocoon Dress Tutorial



Pink&Charlie Cocoon Dress Tutorial


Or you could just buy one.......






Feel free to leave comments or questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment